Dr Ruthbetha Kateule in summary
I am a Lecturer in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, College of Information and Communication Technologies (CoICT), University of Dar es Salaam. I received an undergraduate degree, BSc in Computer Science from the University of Dar es Salaam (2009), MSc in Computer Science from Periyar University in India (2012). I have also received a PhD in Software Engineering from the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg in Germany (2019).
My main research interests are in the fields of Software Engineering, Information Systems, the Internet of Things (IoT) and Artificial Intelligence. These fields stimulate deep and fascinating scientific problems which promote the understanding of the underlying science of computers to facilitate the development of innovative solutions that would make the ICT solutions to be of more helpful to us. Research topics that I am working on, or have recently worked on, include:
- Modelling and Transformation
- Operator- based Viewpoints Definition
- Software and Reference Architectures
- Exploring the Information Flow Challenges
- AI for Predictive Analytics
- Verbal Autopsy (VA) approaches in determining Causes of Death.
- Ruthbetha Kateule, Andreas Winter, “Viewpoints for Sensor-based Environmental Information Systems”, In Environmental Informatics-Stability, Continuity, Innovation, September 2016.
- Ruthbetha Kateule, Kofi Sarpong Adu-Manu, Andreas Winter, Ferdinand Katsriku, Jorge Marx Gomez, “Energy Aware Architectural Design for Sensor based Environmental Information Systems”, In: Dialogue on Sustainability and Environmental Management, Accra, Ghana, February 2017.
- Ruthbetha Kateule, Andreas Winter, “Architectural Design of Sensor based Environmental Information Systems for Maintainability”, In: BUIS 2017 Betriebliche Umweltinformationssysteme Tagung, May 2017.
- Ruthbetha Kateule, Andreas Winter, “Architectural Design of Sensor based Environmental Information Systems for Maintainability”, reappeared in Springer, Magdeburg, 2018.
- Ruthbetha Kateule, Andreas Winter, “Sustainable Sensor based Environmental Information Systems for Smart City”, In: BUIS 2018 Betriebliche Umweltinformationssysteme Tagung, May 2018.
- Meier, Johannes; Kateule, Ruthbetha; Winter, Andreas, “Operator-based Viewpoint Definition”, In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Model-Driven Engineering and Software Development, pp. 401-408, Valletta, SciTePress, February 2020.
- IS068 – Introduction to Project Management
- IS079 – Business Systems
- IS098 – Final Year Informatics Projects
- IS162 – Introduction to Information Systems
- IS284 – Business Process Management
- Reviewer, 6th IEEE International Energy Conference, 28th September – 01st October 2020, Ramada Plaza, Tunisia
- Panel Member, Women in Data Science (WiDS) Africa Conference on 08th March 2021, Virtual Meeting.
Ongoing Research and Consultancy Projects
Health SWASH (School Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) competition platform for promoting Health Awareness and Positive Behaviour Change through a UDSM research and Innovation grant award to ensure access to improved sanitation and hygiene in rural and peri-urban communities.
Time is fake: "Time is fake" is a work of art by the Oldenburg artist and art technician Michael Olsen from 2016 – 2018 in Germany, which was realized with software support from the software technology department and serves as an example of distributed and cross-platform development.
Supervision of Research Students
- Mr Lucas Alick Sakala – Topic: Short-Term Energy Load Forecasting Model based on Deep Recurrent Neural Networks with Sample Filtering (MSc Student).
- Mr Francis Joseph – Topic: Water Demand Forecasting using Artificial Neural Networks (MSc Student).
- Mr Frank Rutaihwa Tilugulilwa – Topic: Machine Learning Model for Fraud Detection in mobile banking transactions (MSc Student).
- Mr Winstone Peter Chagula – Topic: Cybersecurity risk assessment framework (MSc Student).
- Coordinator of Non-Degree Programmes
- Coordinator of Youth for Children (Y4C) club
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
University of Dar es Salaam
CoICT Kijitonyama Campus
Ali Hassan Mwinyi Road
P.O. Box 33335, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Mobile: +255 (0) 782 507599
Office location: CoICT Block A Room# 107