Dr Mercy Mbise
Dr Mercy Mbise completed her undergraduate degree (BEng. Hons.) in Computer Engineering at the Department of Electronic Systems Engineering, University of Essex, the United Kingdom in July 2000. She commenced a PhD degree programme in the same Department, undertaking research in Video Coding and Multimedia Streams Interaction over IP Networks. She completed her PhD studies in December 2004 and joined the University of Dar es Salaam’s then Computer Science Department in February 2006 as a lecturer.
Dr Mbise is currently a lecturer in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, College of Information and Communication Technologies, University of Dar es Salaam. Her research interests include audio, image and video coding, video and multimedia streaming over IP networks, computer networks, QoS and QoE provision for multimedia, distance and e-learning applications, and recently, geospatial technologies through her involvement with the Geo-ICT and Resilience Academy projects. She has also worked in research related to Water Mapping and Water Service Provision Management in Rural Areas, Application of Geospatial ICT Technologies in University Education, Communication and Networking Engineering.
Selected Research Grants
Dr Mbise has been involved in several ICT4D and research projects at local and international levels. Among which are:
- Project: GeoICT4e (Social innovations in Geo-ICT education at Tanzanian HEIs for improved employability). Funder: MFA Finland. Partners: the University of Turku, Turku University of Applied Sciences, Novia University of Applied Sciences, Sokoine University of Agriculture, State University of Zanzibar, Ardhi University, Moshi Co-operative University. Year: September 2020 – date. Role: Coordinator and Expert (UDSM)
- Project: GeoICT (Geospatial and ICT capacities in Tanzanian Higher Education Institutions). Funder: MFA Finland. Partners: the University of Turku, Sokoine University of Agriculture, State University of Zanzibar, Ardhi University. Year: May 2017 – March 2020. Role: Domain Expert
- Project: SEMA (Sensors, Empowerment and Accountability). Funder: DFID, SNV, WB. Partners: University of Twente, SNV, Ministry of Water and Irrigation. Year: December 2015 – April 2017. Role: Postdoc scientist
- Yola Georgiadou, Jeroen Verplanke, Juma Hemed Lungo, Mercy Mbise, “Water Point Mapping in Tanzania: Making the voices of data collectors audible”, 7th Rural Water Supply Forum, Abidjan, December 2016
- M. Mbise, H. Muhomi, “Development of Multimedia Teaching Aids for Selected Physics Sub-Topics from the Topic of Simple Machine in Tanzanian Secondary Schools”, Journal of the Open University of Tanzania, Vol.24, Number 2, July 2017.
- Jimmy T. Mbelwa, Qingjie Zhao, Yao Lu, Fasheng Wang, Mercy E. Mbise “Visual Tracking using Objectness-Bounding Box Regression and Correlation Filters”, Journal of Electronic Imaging, Vol.27, Issue. 2, 2018
- Jimmy T. Mbelwa, Qingjie Zhao, Yao Lu, Hao Liu, Fasheng Wang & Mercy Mbise, “Objectness-based smoothing stochastic sampling and coherence approximate nearest neighbor for visual tracking”, The Visual Computer, International Journal of Computer Graphics, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00371-018-1470-5, 2018.
- J. Lissah, M. Mbise, “Rate Adaptive Congestion Control Using Lookup Table Scheme to Enhance Quality of Experience”, 15th IFIP WG 9.4 International Conference on Social Implications of Computers in Developing Countries, ICT4D 2019, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, May 1-3, 2019, Springer
- B. Francis, M. Mbise, “A Model for Mapping Combined Effects of Quality of Service Parameters and Device Features on Video Streaming Quality of Experience”, Tanzania Journal of Science, Vol. 47, Issue 1, 2021.
- I. Mremi, J. Chaula, M. Mbise, “Distribution of primary health care facilities in Mtwara District, Tanzania: availability and accessibility of services”, Tanzania Journal of Health Research, Vol. 20, No. 4, Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/thrb.v20i4.10, 2018
- R. Musa, M. Mbise, “Determinants of Software-as-a-Service Adoption in Small and Medium Enterprises in Tanzania”, The African Journal of Information Systems (accepted for publication 2021)
- Acting Head, Department of Computer Science and Engineering (from June 2020 – Present)
- Coordinator of Research and Publications, Department of Computer Science and Engineering (December 2020 to June 2020)
- Coordinator of Postgraduate Studies, College of Information and Communication Technologies (August 2015 to November 2019)
- Head, Department of Computer Science and Engineering (July 2020 – July 2015)
- Deputy Principal (Academic), College of Information and Communication Technologies (February 2011 to June 2012)
- Associate Dean (Administration), College of Information and Communication Technologies (July 2009 to February 2011)
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
University of Dar es Salaam, CoICT Kijitonyama Campus
Ali Hassan Mwinyi Road, P.O. Box 33335
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Mobile: +255 (0) 784 726 655
Office Location: CoICT Block A Room A004